Belfast EAA Chapter 1434
Started in 2006 by a group of local pilots and aviation enthusiasts whose goals are to:
- Share our love of aviation among pilots and non-pilots alike.
- Introduce young people to aviation and encourage them to see what it has to offer.
- Promote and advocate the use of the Belfast Airport.
- Educate the public and especially airport neighbors about the value of their municipal airport and General Aviation.
We chose to use the Experimental Aircraft Association as an umbrella organization because they offered:
- National recognition.
- The Young Eagles program of free flights to youth ages 8 – 17.
- Insurance for events and officers.
- Numerous educational resources and programs.
- Advocacy and government representation on a national level.
- Assistance for homebuilders, sport and recreational aviation enthusiasts.
Some of our accomplishments and ongoing endeavors so far are:
- In partnership with the other EAA Chapters in Maine and the Maine Aeronautics Association, we conduct the Maine Aviation Forum at the Owls Head Transportation Museum in Rockland each February. This is a gathering of all the aviation organizations in the state that get together and discuss issues, events and concerns of Maine aviators.
- Conduct ongoing Young Eagles Flight Rallies where we introduce young people, ages 8 – 17, to the excitement of aviation.
- In memory of two of our members, George Rybarczyk and Bennett Scheuer, established the EAA 1434 Memorial Scholarship Fund which pays half tuition for two students in grades 9 – 12 to attend the Aviation Career Education (ACE) Camp. This 1 week resident camp, sponsored by the FAA, and a host of other generous aviation organizations, provides aviation career education through ground school, hands on activities, tours of aviation facilities and flight introductions in all manner of aircraft.
Several of our members are on the Belfast Airport Committee which advises the City Manager and City Council of needs and concerns at the airport. Some of our other members voluntarily attend those meetings.
- We meet at 6:00 PM on the 2nd Tuesday of the month usually at the Belfast Airport
- The dues are $35 per year.
- We’re low key and relaxed.
If you like to talk airplanes, come to a meeting and check it out.
For more information contact: